There are different symptoms of food poisoning. Among them, the popular symptoms are nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, diarrhea or stomach pain. Many people around the world are the victims of food poisoning. Almost 500000 Brits become the victim of the food poisoning related issue each year. During the effect, a person has to eat carefully and less for a while. It is necessary to adopt techniques in the kitchen to avoid the issue. People should know the reasons for food poisoning. They should be severe about preventing it. As a result, a person will be able to enjoy the food. If you know the prevention ways, then there is no fear of eating the food.
Bacteria are the primary cause of food poisoning. Harmful bacteria and germs get evolved in the food when it is prepared or stored in the wrong way. The bacteria develop in the kitchen surfaces and tools surround the area. A person becomes ill after consuming the bacteria contaminated food.
Food poisoning is a slow process of illness. It starts to increase and gets to its ugly head after one or two days. The feeling of the disease is not good. The happy news is that it gets away after a few days.
Causes of food poisoning
Finding out the common root cause of food poisoning is tough. In the United Kingdom, 280000 cases occurred because of campylobacter bacteria. This campylobacter bacteria easily found in the raw meat. It is one of the common culprits in Great Britain. In the world, some other causes of food poisoning are- salmonella, listeria, e.coli, viruses and different types of parasites.
The nasty germs occur or enter in the food for the following reasons-
- Consuming under cooked food mostly meat related.
- In a warm area, the food is kept to be cold.
- Cooked food that has held outside the fridge for too long.
- When any cross-contamination takes place. In the cross-contamination process, the harmful bacteria gets transferred between food, cooking equipment, and worktops.
- Food touched by someone who is ill or has germs on the hand.
- The food affected by someone who had spent time with a sick person.
Simple ways to prevent food poisoning
The prevention process is straightforward. It is not too tricky. A person only needs to follow some specific techniques to tackle the issue. Cooking, cleaning, chilling and cross-contamination has labeled under the Food Standard Agency's Four Cs. The four Cs are smart steps to prevent food poisoning.
The first step: Cooking to prevent food poisoning-
Cooking is the necessary procedure to kill the germs like bacteria, parasites, virus or any other. It is the way that people are following for a long time. Meat and seafood must be cooked following proper procedures. Some information regarding cooking given below-
- Hygienic foods always get a quality tag. Beef and lamb is needed to prepared hygienically. We all know that the lamb and beef meat does not need to cook unless they are ready to clean.
- The complete cooking procedure must done for chicken and pork. It is to cook in such a way that no pink meat is visible. Meat temperature guidelines and resting period are to be followed by people
- Seafood is better to be fresh and clean. People are fond of fresh seafood. While cooking seafood is reviewed by its type and freshness of the item. Specific guidelines informed in the packet. So a consumer must know the information. You can also discuss the seafood issue with a fishmonger or salesperson.
The second step: Cleaning to prevent food poisoning
Proper hygiene must be maintained in the kitchen surfaces and equipment. You should also keep your body cleanliness and personal hygiene. Thus it will help to tackle the food poisoning problem. The hands washed thoroughly before and after the cooking action. If a person is ill then in that situation he or she should stay away from the kitchen. It will be a better decision to let someone cook the meal instead of the sick person.
The third step: Chilling to prevent food poisoning
Chilling in this context does not mean to relax with a glass of coke or Netflix. It says people must keep food at the right temperature. Right temperature of the food is healthy for the body and prevents bacteria. So, the growth and spread of bacteria never take place when the food has the correct temperature.
- Check the food labels after doing the food shopping from the store. The label gives information about the storing process of the food. People can find out how to store it effectively.
- Labels are to check once any jar or packet opened for use.
- You put a meal in the fridge within an hour or two after you have cooked a meal.
The fourth step: Avoid cross-contamination
Cross –contamination is risky for people. The key points discussed below-
- Raw meat and seafood are kept away from other foods in the fridge. You have to place it in sealed containers to a separate shelf.
- At the time of preparing the ingredients, it is better to use separate plates, chopping boards and any other utensils for raw meat, seafood, and vegetables.
- Use hot water to wash all the cooking equipment and plates.
- Detergent is to used in the right proportion for washing.
- Wash the cleaning cloths and sponges in the sink or machine using hot water
- Disinfectant products are to use on the worktops. Disinfecting kitchen spray like Cif or Domestos is suitable to sanitize the worktops.
Final verdict: Steps to be taken if someone gets affected by food poisoning
For food poisoning, it is important to rest at home and drink the right amount of water which has been suggested by the NHS. You should also consume a small portion of meals. The meal should be light in calorie. Dry foods work better in the situation
Severely affected food poisoning is to be checked by the doctor and hospitals. When a person finds the symptoms that remained longer or a few days, it is a better decision to do checkups. The issue is to be taken seriously for the pregnant people, over 60 or pre-existing medical condition people. Those people should try to be safe by visiting doctors and health checkups from the hospital.
The ways of preventing food poisoning mentioned below-
- Start to cook step by step. The food has to cook through especially meat.
- According to food storage guidelines, a consumer should refrigerate or not refrigerate.
- Before and after cooking you need to wash hands.
- If your health is not well then avoid handling food.
- Surface and equipment are cleaned using disinfectant spray.
- In the fridge, a consumer has to use sealed containers for storing raw meat, seafood and vegetables.
- Ready to eat foods are to be kept away from raw meat, fish, vegetables, and seafood in the refrigerator.